SOCIAL MEDIA

MY MENTAL HEALTH STORY.

Friday 16 November 2018


My mental health was triggered when I was 15, and my parents separated. There was a lot of secrets involved that I wasn’t allowed to say to anyone, and it really messed with my head. I was paranoid, I was constantly at a low, and constantly on the verge of either tears or screaming. This lasted for a year and then everything seemed to fizz down a bit.

When I turned 18, my coping mechanism was alcohol. I’d drink so much until I blacked out, and wouldn’t remember anything the next day. The stories I used to hear, from my family the next day, made me think I’m a whole new person. This lasted for a while. I felt quite low, thanks to just finishing College and not having a job. I found it quite difficult not having some sort of routine.

My actual mental journey started properly when I was 22. I’d have episodes of depression, where I felt numb constantly, I’d avoid conversations with friends and family, and I’d lock myself in my room. My parents were getting worried and I couldn’t explain what was wrong with me. I’d go to a job I hated, do the job emotionless, come home and then repeat. There were nights where I’d wake up with the feeling that my bones were shaking. I wasn’t cold, but my insides were. It’d take me an hour to warm myself up, calm my head, and then sleep. I googled what it was, as it happened quite a few times one week. And then realised, waking up to the feeling that your bones are shivering; is a sign of anxiety.


Now that I knew what it was, it all made sense. I always had an inkling that I had depression and anxiety, but nobody quite believed me. My mum and dad - even to this day - will sweep it under the carpet and refuse that my diagnosis is actually a mental health issue. I went to the doctors and had an assessment. She confirmed that I was suffering with mild depression and anxiety. And then she prescribed me with some anti-depressants. This wasn’t something that worked with me. People told me it would take a week for them to kick in, but they kicked in instantly. I suffered terrible insomnia the next few nights, I was constantly hungry, and always felt drained. I didn’t look right, and didn’t feel like myself. It was almost like I could feel the tablets sucking away at the person I am.

By the third day, I’d had enough. I got home, pulled them out of my bag and passed them at my mum. “Throw them, burn them, flush them down the toilet. I cannot cope with these anymore! They’re messing with my head!” Were the exact words I said that Friday in March last year.  She threw them away and I never went back to them.

I find that whenever I can feel a wave of anxiety or depression hitting me, exercise works well for me. The endorphins that leave your body and make you feel lighter and happier. I thought it was a load of rubbish, but it’s true. I had a low, depressive episode a few weeks ago. My dad asked once, and I lied and said I was fine. I felt exhausted, drained. Just basically sick of putting on a phase that I’m fine. And I got to the gym class, he walked over to me and said, “okay what’s wrong? Your face looks really different. You look exhausted.” So I explained my mental health was acting up and I felt really low. After the class, I felt so much better.

For me, coping with my mental health is by listening to my body. The older I get, the more aware I feel and know what I need. I know exercise is good for me. And when I’m drinking and feel the feeling of, “I just want to Black Out” coming close, I will stand up, pour out the wine, and sleep. Let my body recharge overnight.

67 comments:

  1. Hey! Nice Post. It is good to share the experience. Mental illness is quite complex compare to physical illness. Only one can understand it who has experience this horrible state of mind. I have been passed through the same condition as you told. Thanks God, I met a Psychotherapist In Hammersmith. Finally, I am good now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can’t believe focusing long enough to research; much less write this kind of article. You’ve outdone yourself with this material without a doubt. It is one of the greatest contents. Health

    ReplyDelete
  3. An fascinating discussion is value comment. I think that it is best to write extra on this matter, it won’t be a taboo topic however generally people are not enough to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers Buy CBD Gummies Online

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your this post while searching for information about blog-related research ... It's a good post .. keep posting and updating information. thoatvidiadem.net/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really thank you for the valuable info on this great subject and look forward to more great posts. Thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty article with me. I am appreciating it very much! Looking forward to another great article. Good luck to the author! All the best! foot care supply

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post! This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for informative post. the 5th review

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here keep up the good work learn more

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post! This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for informative post. tous les abdos

    ReplyDelete
  9. i never know the use of adobe shadow until i saw this post. thank you for this! this is very helpful. reconstruction cheveux

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really impressed after read this because of some quality work and informative thoughts . I just wanna say thanks for the writer and wish you all the best for coming!. view more

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can't wait to read lots of your posts. check it out

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up. Great work. taux de sucre dans le sang

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice post! This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for informative post. Read more

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent and very exciting site. Love to watch. Keep Rocking. clenbuterol achat

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was reading some of your content on this website and I conceive this internet site is really informative ! Keep on putting up. Dentist Thiensville Wi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent and very exciting site. Love to watch. Keep Rocking. overtskincare

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am very much pleased with the contents you have mentioned. I wanted to thank you for this great article. Best Squat Workouts for Glutes

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to undertand. Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not tht good. I also found your posts very interesting. In fact after reading, I had to go show it to my friend and he ejoyed it as well! learn more

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can't wait to read lots of your posts. Buy MDMA Online

    ReplyDelete
  20. We have sell some products of different custom boxes.it is very useful and very low price please visits this site thanks and please share this post with your friends. skincare

    ReplyDelete
  21. When you use a genuine service, you will be able to provide instructions, share materials and choose the formatting style. buy painkillers online

    ReplyDelete
  22. https://www.gapatton.net/2015/07/207-planetary-health.html?showComment=1557424734741#c6180576755384287457

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great survey, I'm sure you're getting a great response. https://alvenda.com/phenq-walmart/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice post! This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for informative post. The Benefits of CBD for Aging Skin

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post. Athletes Use CBD Oil for Sport Injuries

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just admiring your work and wondering how you managed this blog so well. It’s so remarkable that I can't afford to not go through this valuable information whenever I surf the internet! CBDfx Topical Creams

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great article Lot's of information to Read...Great Man Keep Posting and update to People..Thanks CBD Oil and Fertility: What You Need To Know

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. Royal CBD

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a very useful article. Very interesting to read this article.I would like to thank you for the efforts you had made for writing this awesome article. strongarticle

    ReplyDelete
  30. An individual's song is certainly impressive. You will have certain rather qualified musicians and artists. That i like everyone one of the best for results. behavioral health billing software

    ReplyDelete
  31. I was surfing net and fortunately came across this site and found very interesting stuff here. Its really fun to read. I enjoyed a lot. Thanks for sharing this wonderful information. WHAT ARE FULL SPECTRUM CBD Oil?

    ReplyDelete
  32. You completed a few fine points there. I did a search on the subject and found nearly all persons will go along with with your blog. Liquid Honey Tincture 250MG

    ReplyDelete
  33. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. footcare drill equipment

    ReplyDelete
  34. I truly awed after read this in view of some quality work and instructive considerations . I just wanna express profound gratitude for the essayist and want you to enjoy all that life has to offer for coming!. Mental health billing services

    ReplyDelete
  35. CBD is only an atom, no wonder. Many individuals can receive the huge rewards on the off chance that they are given admittance legitimately to these wide assortment of cures of cannabis, not just to no THC or low THC items. CBD without help from anyone else may not generally be sufficient to get the secret to work. how often should you use cbd oil

    ReplyDelete
  36. Extensive work environment health the executives is a cycle including all partners inside and outside any business. what is in cbd oil

    ReplyDelete
  37. Today, I was just browsing along and came upon your blog. Just wanted to say good blog and this article helped me a lot, due to which I have found exactly I was looking. reviews for cinderella solution

    ReplyDelete
  38. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. Headache

    ReplyDelete
  39. This surely was a great help to me as well! Thanks to this naming firm,  I was able to monetize my brand name with a variety of merchandise. You should definitely try their new online course CBD Oil Tincture Coconut

    ReplyDelete
  40. Really appreciate you sharing this blog article. Thanks Again. Great.mental health

    ReplyDelete
  41. Really appreciate you sharing this blog article. Thanks Again. Great.mental health

    ReplyDelete
  42. We have sell some products of different custom boxes.it is very useful and very low price please visits this site thanks and please share this post with your friends. Gloves for sale online

    ReplyDelete
  43. Great article with excellent idea!Thank you for such a valuable article. I really appreciate for this great information.. counselling burnaby

    ReplyDelete
  44. Here you can get numerous solutions of your health problems which might be you were looking for
    https://www.lonestarball.com/users/ella%20den

    ReplyDelete
  45. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share. I want to thank you. Good job! You guys do a great blog, and have some great contents. Keep up the good work. how to make a high cbd tincture

    ReplyDelete
  46. These 5 C's of good mental health offer a framework within which we can think about our mental health in the same way as we might our physical health. management training

    ReplyDelete
  47. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share. I want to thank you. Good job! You guys do a great blog, and have some great contents. Keep up the good work. Delta 8 Disposable Cartridge 1000mg Strawberry Cough

    ReplyDelete
  48. As you can see, pharmacy technician roles can be very diverse. The best advice I can give you is to figure out what setting you would most like to work in and obtain some experiential hours in that setting. https://merlins.deals/store/6336

    ReplyDelete
  49. This report will tell you the best way to utilize only three of my Fun Commandments to turn your mental health around, and acquire new happiness, joy, and appreciation from your life! reiki healing near me

    ReplyDelete
  50. Thanks for a wonderful share. Your article has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant .i love it reading. directory

    ReplyDelete
  51. Cash, because of the accessibility of billions of dollars from health protection pools, urged a creative America to build clinical examination endeavors. Ceracare reviews

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © Brogan Nugent. Blog Design by SkyandStars.co